Family Chef Talk Forum banner
  • Welcome, guest! Are you ready to join the discussion? Click here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Founding Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The recipe says "best ever".

They were right. SWMBO and I had this last night over plain rice and oh my, one of those meals I just couldn't stop eating.

The "time" says 20 min prep/30 min cooking. Well, I'm no slouch in the kitchen but prep took me 45 min and cooking about 50 minutes.

Even so, I started the day before (as in recipe) to prep/marinate the meat overnight. The rest was done the next day.

No pics but the recipe page looks just like mine did.

BTW, I used a wok (not deep fry) as it uses a lot less oil--and therefore absorbs a lot less oil as well--less calories.

· Founding Member
912 Posts
I saved that to my favorites. Got everything on had except red bell pepper and pineapple juice.

· Founding Member
186 Posts
It sounds great but does look like a bit of work.
It does. But all published recipes seem to be way more complicated than necessary. What I try to do is gather the information they want you to know and organize the dish in a way it becomes much simpler.
A good example is a recipe for a cake I made the other day. It was a Tres Leches cake.
When I read the steps it would have taken 3-4 bowls and the mixer to make this thing. So knowing baking is a science not a recipe I worked on it. Now I can make that cake with one bowl and one mixer. Same ingredients and the same science.
I made a big mess last time and I'm not going to make that mess again.

· Founding Member
186 Posts
Every recipe that is in my repertoire has been retooled from the original.

I loathe cleaning up after cooking, so I always figure out how to make every recipe as simple as possible and try to keep my mess to a minimum.
I will add that I keep up with dishes as I go. I can have all the cooking dishes done long before the food is ready. My wife is the opposite. She will have dishes piled up and does not start cleaning up until after we eat. I hate that. I hate to see it no matter they will eventually get washed.
So I always help her with dishes as she cooks which is a very rare occasion. When I had surgery last time I lost 19 pounds. She had to do all the cooking.

· Founding Member
912 Posts
Are you coming here soon? I have 3 days of cooking stuff stacked and needing washed. The bloody dishwasher caught on fire 5 or 6 years ago and we haven't had the money to spend on that. Maybe soon though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts