Family Chef Talk Forum banner
  • Welcome, guest! Are you ready to join the discussion? Click here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Founding Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a fan of them and wife finally admitted she isn't either, she's the one that asked for them. So a wondered about putting sugar in them. Searched and came up with this.

I did make some changes however. In place of bacon I used salt jowl, petite diced tomatoes, omitted the jalapenos, sage and salt. Salt isn't needed because of the salt jowl and the jowl because I had it. Wife won't eat jalapenos. Didn't have any sage.

The result was tasty and wife said she liked them. So it looks like a hit and will be done more than once a year.

· Founding Member
471 Posts
I like black eye peas…when I make them, I always add sautéed onions and garlic and bacon.
The spices that I like with them are kosher salt, black cracked pepper, rubbed sage, thyme, and fresh chopped parsley.

· Founding Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about adding black pepper and decided against it. For salt I've got sea salt (coarse and fine), kosher salt, table salt, canning and pickling salt, Himalayan salt table grind and fine grind. I like the coase sea salt for salads and the others are pretty much interchangable IMO.

· Founding Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look on Amazon for the 5 lb bags and do the subscribe and save option, save some coins. You may have to look for some with the option.

· Founding Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes they do and you need to plan accordingly. You can select the frequency of deliveries and skip a delivery if you wish. I do several items on S&S and when I have enough I cancel it.

· Founding Member
471 Posts
I just went to Amazon to order the pink salt and remembered that ( I think) my son said he has a lot of pink salt, and he’ll give me some..I just emailed him to ask, before I order it.

he just gave me a big jar of rock salt in an adjustable grinder..it works great, nice big chunks or small chunks…he also got me a big jar of peppercorns…he’s a big Costco shopper
and keeps me supplied with yeast…

· Founding Member
247 Posts
My mother complains about my food being salty. She's a recipe person and not diverge from whatever the printed instructions say. Some of her go-to recipes contain minuscule amounts of seasoning. Not as bad as the secret recipe for refried beans I have memorized from a certain Texas restaurant chain though. They only used 1/4 tsp of garlic powder in an entire skillet of beans.

· Founding Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are all sodium chloride but are perceived differently with the possible exception of Himalayan Pink due to the minerals it contains.

· Founding Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes the pink salt has become my go to salt for most things.

· Founding Member
185 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts