Family Chef Talk Forum banner
  • Welcome, guest! Are you ready to join the discussion? Click here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Founding Member
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love eating these and actually made them once using the recipe from Diana Kennedy's book The Art of Cooking Mexican. Here is a link to the recipe. I used a cheese filling rather that the meat filling in this recipe and I disagree with washing the peppers after charring and skinning. I think there is a flavor loss. They are time consuming to make but can be made over two days. Some may have seen this at the other place.

My relleno pics.

Poblano peppers
Food Plant Ingredient Natural foods Cucumber

Charred, Skinned and Stuffed. If you can't remove all the skin just leave it, do not wash.

Food Ingredient Cuisine Plant Vegetable

Battered and Fried. Drain on wire rack not paper towels.

Food Ingredient Salteñas Recipe Cuisine

Plated with red rice and sauce.

Food Ingredient Recipe Staple food Cuisine

· Administrator
356 Posts
You've just made me realize how long it's been since I've had a good Chili Relleno. I, too, like mine, just stuffed with cheese, and I'm fairly certain that my favorite place to have this dish never once thought about washing the peppers after charring. Honestly, you were lucky if they remembered to wash the silverware.

Ah, the good old days. 😁

· Founding Member
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I like the "hole in the wall" Mexican places. They seem to have the best food. The last relleno I had at a large Mexican restaurant the relleno was only battered on one side. :mad:

I'm reminded of another Mexican recipe I need to make and will post it here in a few days. If you like Mexican I think you'll like this one also.

· Founding Member
186 Posts
I love eating these and actually made them once using the recipe from Diana Kennedy's book The Art of Cooking Mexican. Here is a link to the recipe. I used a cheese filling rather that the meat filling in this recipe and I disagree with washing the peppers after charring and skinning. I think there is a flavor loss. They are time consuming to make but can be made over two days. Some may have seen this at the other place.

My relleno pics.

Poblano peppers
View attachment 24

Charred, Skinned and Stuffed. If you can't remove all the skin just leave it, do not wash.

View attachment 25

Battered and Fried. Drain on wire rack not paper towels.

View attachment 26

Plated with red rice and sauce.

View attachment 27
Tell us about the cheese filling, the egg batter and how you made the rice. TIA.

· Founding Member
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cheese was just a 1/2" thick piece of Mexican melting cheese I forget the name. The egg batter was 4 eggs separated and the white whipped, the rice was cooked with a small can of tomato sauce, some Bolner's Spanish Rice seasoning and water as directed on the Bolner's bottle.

• Helpful
Reactions: PickyPrincess
1 - 7 of 7 Posts